Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Glass Menagerie Characters



The Glass Menagerie was one of the most complex plays I have ever analyzed. The 3 main characters, Laura, Tom, and their mother Amanda were interesting characters that had many similarities, as well as differences. For instance, they all had a similar mindset of escaping the lives that they lived, physically and emotionally. They differentiated in various aspects, for example, Amanda Wingfield (the mother) was extremely enthusiastic with anything that she did, and she was perhaps a bit of a drama queen. On the other hand, there was her daughter Laura who could not differ from her mother more. Laura was as shy as a snail, and was most uncomfortable with herself, especially because of her physical impairment which caused her to walk with a limp. Tom, the bread winner for his mother and sister was a bit more rebellious than the two women in his immediate family. He heavily smoked cigarettes and drank often, not to mention he was quite sarcastic and irritable throughout the entire play. In my opinion, he never took his mother seriously, and mocked her quite often. This hectic household filled with loud outburst from Amanda, anxious remarks from Laura, and Tom’s bitter attitude resulted in a very theatrical performance at the Wingfield residence. This play kept my attention, and I will most likely read it again in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that this was a hard play to analyze. I felt the same way about the characters. Laura in particular caught my attention

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post! The play definitely needed to be analyzed but I'm glad we did it so thoroughly in class. I agree with your character analysis as well!

    ReplyDelete